|New Paintings and Drawings|
|Sep 30 - Nov 2, 1978|
For the first exhibition of the new season, the Frumkin Gallery will show a group of large new paintings by Robert Hudson. There will also be a major series of mixed media works on paper ("drawings" is an inadequate term) which complement the paintings. The new paintings are more severely geometric than his earlier works, while the mixed media works on paper are the most complex, coloristic and baroque works of his career.
Robert Hudson has shown with the Frumkin Gallery since 1965 when he made his New York debut with a sensational group of polychrome steel sculptures. Since then he has shown both sculpture, drawings, and paintings, but this is his first exhibition devoted exclusively to two-dimensional works. The new paintings are on primed canvas, which allows for much more intense color development than was possible in the paintings show two years ago which were principally "stain" paintings on unprimed cotton batting.
Robert Hudson has been the recipient of many awards and prizes over the past two decades, and earlier this year he was given a retrospective exhibition of his works in all media by the Moore College of Art in Philadelphia. Last season he was also exhibited at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston.
The Robert Hudson exhibition will open on September 30 and run through November 2nd. The Frumkin Gallery is open Tuesday through Friday, 10 to 6; Saturdays from 12 to 5:30.
1. Bird Maze, 1978, collage and mixed media
2. After Image, 1978, acrylic on canvas
3. Shipscurve, 1978, collage and mixed media
4. Portrait, 1978, collage and mixed media
5. Lookinback Kid, 1978, collage and mixed media
6. Untitled, 1978, acrylic on canvas
7. T Square, 1978, mixed media
8. Drumhead, 1978, collage and mixed media
9. Bubble Chamber, 1978, collage and mixed media
10. Eye Beam, 1978, acrylic on canvas
11. Black Widow, 1978, mixed media
12. Black Hole, 1978, mixed media
13. Indian Woman, 1978, acrylic on canvas
14. Light Bean, 1978, collage and mixed media
15. K-1, 1978, acrylic medium and pastel on canvas
16. Longhorn, 1978, collage and mixed media
17. Cowboy Saddle Light, 1978, collage and mixed media
18. Cowboy Saddle Light, 1974, construction